Sunday 12 January 2020

In the beginning...

For her

It wasn’t an earth shattering moment when we first met. It held no hint of the drama or magnitude to come. It was just an ordinary day, an unimaginative, anonymous scene: a long corridor with pale green linoleum floors and a slightly darker shade of moss-coloured metal lockers along the walls punctured with gaps for doorways.
            I had opened my locker and all the books had tumbled out in a thump and flutter scattering papers to the floor. Then there he was, this man-boy with his wide unarmed smile. He picked up my fallen papers and started talking.
            ‘Glad that happened. I’ve been hoping to talk to you. Ive seen you in the library. I’m Paul.
            I took the sheets from him irritated by their disorder.
            ‘Bianca.’ I said.
            ‘I know.’
            He smiled and I felt flustered unaccustomed to the attention. I snapped.
            ‘Saying hello can’t be that challenging if you already know a persons name, surely. It’s a wander you took so long.’
            ‘Well I shan’t wait for an invitation next time. You’ll be seeing me.’
            He walked off, turning to check that I was watching him just before he ducked into the languages class.
            After that he was like the book you want to read but haven’t got hold of yet: you start seeing people read it everywhere you go, on busses; in cafes; its lying in someone’s school bag, being discussed on the radio. That’s how it was with Paul. Suddenly I was aware of him and he was everywhere I went.
            He was the first boy to show me any attention, but now that he had I wanted to make the most of it. I was determined to capitalise on his interest in me.

For him
Her folders slam to the floor. Her papers flutter towards me like an invitation. This is my chance. I can play the hero then she might be interested in me. Play it cool, I school myself.
            ‘Hello, I’m Paul.’
            Please smile in my direction I will her. I crave the jolt I know it will give me. She has become a drug to me, a secret high. Now is my chance to main-line. Her eyes meet mine. I don’t hear what she’s saying for the buzz in my ears. I feel the simultaneous softening and hardening of my body’s response. Stay cool.Act cool. How can I cover this up? How can I answer when I didn’t hear what she said? 
            ‘You’ll be seeing me.’ I try to saunter away. What the hell is a saunter?Not too fast. Is she watching? She must think I’m a creep.I can’t stop myself from glancing back as I turn the corner. Just a quick look.Yes! Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment